Thursday, November 6, 2014

Easy, Quick, Trendy Chunky Scarf Pattern



I made this for myself and I just love it, so I wanted to share the pattern!  It's super soft (and super simple) and you can wear it several different ways. Make it with or without the fringe (I wanted fringe because I think it's fun!). If you want to make this into a chunky infinity cowl that you can double, it's easy enough to whip stitch or slip stitch the ends together once you're finished. This scarf is fast enough to make that you can crank several out for Christmas gifts in no time.  And it doesn't cost much either. I chose to make mine with I Love This Yarn (and I do very much love this yarn) in Cranberry because it's such a yummy color. I think it would look great in any color, but especially grey, sungold, or ivory tweed. Expand this post to see instructions and more pics by clicking 'read more' below
*Note: This pattern is not professionally written. This'ns just for fun. ;)

You will need:
About 700 yards (650 meters) of soft worsted weight yarn (I recommend I Love This Yarn-two skeins rolled into three equal balls, or just get three skeins because that'll make your life easier)
Size P crochet hook (or something in the 11.5 mm range-basically a big ass hook)
Scissors
Blunt large-eye needle for seaming (if you so desire) or weaving ends (although I didn't weave my ends, I just incorporated them into the fringe)

Instructions:
(Holding three strands together)
Ch 16
Row 1: hdc in 3rd ch from hook and each ch across.
*tip-if you insert your hook into the back rib of the chain, you'll end up with a nice edge for your first row. See picture below labeled "beginning chain tip")
Row 2: ch 2, turn, hdc in first st though both loops, hdc across in back loops only until last st, hdc through both loops of last st.
Row 3: Repeat row 2 until scarf measures at least 60 inches. (Mine was 68 inches long, 66 rows of hdc)

Finishing:
You can...
-Leave as is, and weave in ends.
-Add fringe to both ends-I cut about 90ish pieces of  yarn about 8-9 inches long and looped three of them through each stitch on the ends. After I was finished I gave them a haircut to even them up and make them all the same length.
-Whip stitch or slip stitch the ends together to form a circle.
-I suppose you could make little pom poms or braids for the ends too. That would be cute.

Beginning Chain Tip

Some more ways to wear it:



The Legal Stuff:
© 2014 April Snyder All rights reserved
No part of this written work may be publicly reproduced, adapted, transformed, built upon, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, whether for free or monetary gain without written consent of author. Permission is granted to share and distribute privately.

No comments:

Post a Comment